Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Dim Sum "Dynasties" and the Mixing of Cultures

Yank Sing is one of the most well known dim sum restaurants in SF. It's well-known because prices are high and, as such, caters more to a Caucasian -- or Americanized -- clientele. I've never eaten there but have wanted to try it to see if the food is really worth the extra price. I read an article in SFGate (here) about it and am dismayed to discover that it's now managed by a white guy and his Asian wife. *sigh* Will yellow fever know no bounds? Pretty soon I'll be eating at Chinese restaurants only to discover that the cook behind the scenes is white. O.o I know that lots of people have no problem mixing Asians and whites (in terms of relationships) and while it is not something I condone, I'll put up with it but now it's come to the restaurant business?! eek. Makes me seriously think twice about going to the restaurant because, afterall, how good can it be if its run by a white guy? Granted, the cook is still Chinese, but do I want to pay higher prices for something that may eventually be cooked by white sous chefs or, even worse, head chefs? Don't think so.

No comments: