Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Charging for Substitutions

I was looking for a good place to have Sunday brunch in the city since we're going to be there this weekend. I came across this restaurant named Baker Street Bistro and it's got a lot of good reviews on Yelp (the de-facto local review site to use.) It sounded very good so I went to their website to look at the menu. Overall the brunch menu seemed fair and had a good variety to offer. I was all set to suggest we eat here for brunch until I saw the following line on their menu:

Each substitution will be charged $2.50

I have never seen a restaurant charge you for making a substition. Yes, it is reasonable if you want to substitute a house salad for a side of cheese fries for them to charge you slightly more since it could be viewed as the fries having a more substantial cost to the restaurant than the salad. However, to make a blanket statement to say it is an extra $2.50 to do any substitutions is a big turn off for me. What if I wanted to ask for no maple syrup and to have extra butter instead? Would that be subject to this ridiculous surcharge? I'm not going to find out since I've decided to never eat brunch at this establishment. It seems very petty to charge for a substitution and there are plenty of other wonderful restaurants that I can patronize instead.

Studies have shown that women are more likely to make a substitution to their restaurant order than men. I completely agree with this case study since I am a prime example. I generally don't like to add sour cream to my burrito, ask for salad dressing on the side, etc. It's just a way of life. And yes, I will sometimes substitute my salad for a baked potato and vice versa. To penalize me for my freedom of choice is unfair and they've lost a customer for life.

No comments: