Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Cucumbers

I hate cucumbers. For some reason I just cannot get myself to like them. I don't mind cucumbers in water or cucumbers as garnish (since I never eat them) but I don't like to eat slices of cucumber. They seem like a waste of my space on my plate. I don't care for the taste of cucumbers and they don't seem "refreshing" to me. I am generally not a picky eater but cucumbers is where I have a problem. I will pick cucumbers out of my salad and put them to the side so that I don't have to eat them.

Enter the food processor. I love my food processor and have extolled its virtues many times over. I used the food processor to shred the cucumber and, voila, all of a sudden I was ok with eating cucumbers. I think there is something about eating a cucumber in large chunks (e.g. a slice) which doesn't agree with me but somehow eating cucumber shreds is ok. Voila. I can suddenly eat cucumbers without wincing in dismay. I no longer have a food which I'm picky about (only picky about its preparation.)

Lesson to be learned: never rule out a food unless you've tried it prepared several different ways. I have, in fact, become enamored enough with shredded cucumbers that I am willing to eat it in salads (shredded of course) next week and it will be an item on my grocery list.

No comments: