Wednesday, July 18, 2007

BBQ Pork Buns - 叉燒包

There's been a huge uproar in the Asian community ever since the article about cardboard buns came out. Nearly everyone has heard about it and everyone is incredulous, myself included.

On a related topic, I have been looking for my favorite brand of frozen BBQ pork buns (cha siu bau) in the supermarkets and I haven't found it. It looks like there has been some distribution problems because it's been a few months now and the Weichun brand of BBQ pork buns is no where to be found.

What's the solution? Well I don't feel like venturing out to another sub-standard brand of buns -- they might contain cardboard in it! -- and I'm getting tired of finding other things to eat for breakfast. The only thing left to do is make them myself. I made them once, a long time ago when I was in college. It's time to pull out the recipe book and try to make them again. At least with this batch (which probably makes like 30+ buns) I'll know that there isn't cardboard in it. With that many BBQ pork buns I'm sure that I'll have lots to spare -- who wants to come eat them with me? ^_^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahh yes the pork buns we made for class lol I totally forgot the recipe... I am even surprised we made the dough 0_0