Monday, July 02, 2007

Transformers the Movie -- Too Commercial?

I was a kid in the 80s and, as everyone else, grew up with Transformers. I used to have a lot of them and my brother and I would play with them for hours. We used to watch Transformers on TV. Transformers, like GI Joe, was a childhood favorite toy.

With the CGI version of the Transformers movie coming out (the cartoon version of the Transformers movie came out in the 80s) I am definitely looking forward to it. I read an article on yahoo however that has made me start to have second thoughts. GM is the sponsor for the movie and they have "premium" mentions in the movie. Does this mean that my beloved autobots and decepticons will basically be nothing but a 2 hour commercial advertising GM cars? I hope not!

These days it seems like advertisers are wrangling their way into everything. I love watching Top Chef but this season seems to be nothing but dropping sponsors names. It gets very distrating hearing Kenmore Kitchen and storing things in Gladware over and over again.

I hope the Transformers movie won't suffer from this blatant commercialization and will be a respectable movie.

No comments: