Thursday, July 05, 2007

Ratatouille Recap

I've finally seen Ratatouille and, unfortunately, I must say that I am disappointed by it. It reminded me too much of the Incredibles and did not seem like it would appeal to kids.

The drawing of the humans in Ratatouille is exactly the same style as that used in the incredibles. In all of Pixar's other movies the humans look different due to different styles of art being used and it has always made the characters refreshing and easily identifiable. If I were to take one of the human characters from Ratatouille and place him in the Incredibles, I'd have no idea that that character wasn't in the original Incredibles movie.

The antagonist is always the same. The chef in Ratatouille contains the following characteristics which match that of the antagonist in the Incredibles: short, arrogant, and evil(a given.) The continuous usage of short characters (also with Edna Mo in the Incredibles) is getting really tiring. Brad Bird, the director of both movies, is starting to lose his edge of creativity and is re-using the same concepts over and over again.

The beginning intro of Ratatouille also contains a small flash segment of the characters. In the Incredibles they did the same thing with introducing the various supers.

Overall, the movie seemed to be geared towards foodies rather than towards young children. I consider myself a semi-foodie (I try to keep up with what's happening in the food world) but even I was a bit tired of all the excruciating detail they went into for the food. Yes, I get it. You guys did your research about food but stop talking about the food and get back to the plot of the movie! I am sure most of whats in the movie went over the top of kid's heads (do they really care that ratatouille is considered a peasant's dish?)

I am sadly underwhelmed by Rataouille. It is true that I had high expectations of the movie but not so high as to be unattainable -- Pixar has done so well with its other movies and I've always been impressed by the uniqueness of each.

If you must see this movie, wait until it comes out on video

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY I LOVED THE MOVIE!!!

infamy said...

It's interesting to hear your thoughts on this. I haven't seen the Incredibles, so I can't speak to the similarities between the two. I took my cousins (ages 7, 9, and 11) to see the movie and they seemed to really enjoy it (except for the scene with the kiss). I'm sure a lot of it went over their heads, but I think that happens a lot in kids movies -- there is some stuff for the kids and some for the adults. I think what I loved the most about the movie was the food and the French setting. It was total eye candy for me! The plot was so-so -- it would have been nice if Linguine learned to cook from Remy and be one of the 'anyone can cook' instead of just a puppet.

I made ratatouille before watching the movie and then ate it afterwards. I made the traditional, 'peasant' variety rather than the fancy schmancy version that Remy made. It was yummy!